Fusion Investor Chatbox

This chatbox is for fundamental, technical and related discussions on investing in Bursa Malaysia. Registration is required to join. Please email me at fusion.investor@gmail.com with your preferred name and password and I will inform you when registration is confirmed.

Disclaimer: As usual, you are solely responsible for your trading & investing decisions.

Monday, September 1, 2008

Malaysia Today has no respect for religion: Syed Hamid?

Link here - http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/8/30/nation/20080830182005&sec=nation

My question is - is this the best that they can come up with? A general reason that says "No respect for religion"?

Let me quote Syed Hamid & SKMM in italics red, so that you can form your own opinion whether the government's explanation to censor Malaysia Today website is adequate or not.

"The Malaysia Today news portal has no respect at all for religion even though the topic is very sensitive and the "fire of religion" could cause chaos and havoc"

Too general. Presumptive. Which article? Which date? Which paragraph?

"this did not mean it could be used to disparage, defame, libel and circulate untruths without boundaries and restraint, and that the Government has a responsibility to act in the name of public interest."

Too general. Presumptive. Which article? Which date? Which paragraph?

"you must not create public fear, or send a message that would cause uncertainty and a lot of damage to the country in terms of public confidence and investor confidence,"

Too general. Presumptive. Which article? Which date? Which paragraph?

"The SKMM head Mohamed Shahril Mohamed Tarmizi told Utusan that the ban against Malaysia Today was because an article in the website had tried to draw parallels of the Holy Prophet to the former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda's Osama bin Laden."

Too general. Presumptive. Which article? Which date? Which paragraph?

As a general comment, I am a daily MT reader, and quote a lot of articles in MT in my blog here. Everyday, I try to make it a point to read every single article in MT. If for some reason I could not read it today, I will try to catch up the next day, if not the day after.

Since last year, my conservative estimate is that I must have read at least 3,000 MT articles, or very conservatively say 10 a day over the last 300 days.

And not even once have I come across this article that "draw parallels of the Holy Prophet to the former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein and Al Qaeda's Osama bin Laden.". If I did, I certainly don't remember it. And I certainly did not felt fear. And I would not run around creating chaos and havoc as Syed Hamid claims.

In fact, logically speaking, if it did create chaos and havoc, wouldn't you and I already know? I mean if it doesn't create chaos and havoc today, yesterday, 2 days ago, 3 days ago, then, how old exactly is this article? And why censor MT at 6 PM on August 26?

As for creating public fear, if RPK's article did it, I expect the root cause to be the participants in the message and not the messenger.

So, I repeat - Which article? Which date? Which paragraph?

""I thought personally when they (SKMM) took action - under current developments - that we were very slow to take action even though we are hurt very badly so often," he added."

Too general. Presumptive. Which article? Which date? Which paragraph?

Other comments:

I have been extremely patient with the government, but from what I've seen so far, despite the numerous newspaper articles and despite the numerous explanations by Syed Hamid, I remain unconvinced, despite trying to keep an extremely open mind to the possibility.

But to date, they have not yet even mentioned the specific article, the specific date, nor even quote the specific paragraph!

I must therefore now come to this conclusion:

Is the government publicly lying to us?

No comments: